Tuesday, May 10, 2011

No more thumb sucking!

This poor kids has had his fair share
of dental work done in his 5 1/2 years!
He and McKenzie eat and drink the
same things, brush and floss the
same way but this poor kid inherited
my horrible enamel!! McKenzie on the other
hand has yet to have a cavity.
Today the dentist inserted a "retainer" in his mouth
to help him to stop sucking his thumb.
It really hasn't been a problem because he only sucks
it when he sleeps but it was beginning to make
his teeth shift.
He is still trying to get use to it in his mouth...
especially when he talks and eats!
Hopefully in six months he'll be over his
bad habit and he won't have to wear it
anymore! The dentist said be prepared for
lots of whining and complaining for the next
few days. So far he has been a really good sport
about it and was really excited to go to school and
show his friends!
* I guess its cool to wear retainers in pre-school! ;) *

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I am dying right now because Curt had metal spikes inserted into his mouth to poke him if he sucked his thumb and he found a way to bend them back and keep on a suckin', at least Blakes don't seem to primative. Don't worry by the time Curt was 13 he finally stopped.

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

Geez...Ashely just threw curt under the bus! ha! i love it

And yea in preschool everything is cool. Im sure if you did this (like curt) when he was 13 he would get his bum kicked for showing it off!! "look everyone, I suck my thumb!!!"

Lindsey and Brett said...

Poor Blake. I know exactly how that goes. I take better care of my teeth than Brett and he never has cavities. It's no fun. But at least the retainer is cool :)

The Lees said...

He looks so excited in that first pic! I didn't suck my thumb, but I did have to wear a brace in my mouth when I was about his age. Pretty sure I did a lot of whining and complaining though!